Friday, March 6, 2009

favorite directors

I was watching one of my favorite movies again last night - Sunshine, and it got me thinking about my top five favorite directors. This is the list as of now...

DANNY BOYLE
Danny Boyle is wonderful because everything I've seen by him to date I have absolutely loved, or else have been completely blown away by. He's done them all - drug film, zombie film, family film, sci-fi film, bollywood-ish film - and he excels with every single one. I am happy for him about his Slumdog Millionaire sweep at the Oscars, but I could care less about him getting so much acclaim right now because I have loved and will love him all the same.

DAVID LYNCH
His films are challenging, complex, dark, bizarre, and a gorgeous sight to behold. He doesn't care what people think of his films, so long as they make one THINK. And best of all he doesn't bother to explain his films - you the viewer have to make what you make of it.

INGMAR BERGMAN
Pure poetry. I didn't fall for black and white foreign films until Bergman. His impeccable narrative is so personal, yet relate-able. The themes he explores in his film are as real as life, heartbreaking, damaging, and redeeming. Best of all, he knows what it is like to be a child.

STANLEY KUBRICK
This should go on without explanation.

EDGAR WRIGHT
The youngest and... lightest of this bunch? Everything Edgar Wright touches is pure comedy gold. Everyone needs some brevity in their heavy heavy lives, no? Edgar Wright is the source for when I need some funny. <3

P.T. ANDERSON
P.T. is a funny one. After seeing one of his films I usually don't like it right away, but each time it'll get stuck under my skin, and as I let my thoughts stew, I just appreciate it more and more. And they are strangely unforgettable. A quality I'd like to have, if that makes sense.

3 comments:

M said...

You have a nice taste indeed.
All of these directors also happen to be my favorites. Specially Bergman, it has started to grow on me a lot in the last few years.

What do you think about Wes Anderson and Jim Jarmusch? Do you like them?

I ended up here out of curiosity, because of the "Notes from Underground" tag in your favourites books.

Hope not to bother.

destroy what bores you said...

No bother at all!

I loved Wes Anderson dearly during my high school years, specifically Rushmore and the Royal Tenenbaums. I was highly disappointed with The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and then the Darjeeling Limited (though I thought both looked beautiful). I liked Hotel Chevalier however! It was a difficult choice, but I ended up not putting him on this list but the two films of his that I liked are very dear to my heart :).

As for Jim Jarmusch I haven't watched anything from him! Any recommendations? thank you for visiting, I hope to hear from you again soon!

M said...

You're welcome, and I will sure keep visiting you blog.

Yeah, I had to watch Zissou and Darjeeling a few times before I finally started to like them. I think that Wes is one of those filmmakers that necessarily demand a few views to finally start to understand what he wanted to say. He uses too much symbolism.

Oh, it's hard to choose one from Jarmusch. If you like Bill Murray, a bit of existentialist feeling through the whole movie and a slow develop of the story, try Broken Flowers.
It's one of those movies that leaves you thinking (a lot) and with a serious necessity to discuss it.