Tuesday, March 24, 2009

requisite tools - pens

Pilot Precise Rolling Ball V5 (Extra Fine)
I'm in love with the Pilot Precise Rolling Ball pens. How do I count the ways in which I love thee?! First, for their price their quality is amazing - I have yet to have a pen explode ink all over the place, or leak on me. The handy dandy "window" to show the ink supply lets me know when my pen is running low (though I carry several at a time everywhere I go). They also come in tons of colors - I mostly just use black, red, and blue. The V5 is perfect for note-taking in class (it doesn't bleed through the pages as much as the V7) and finer detail sketches...

Pilot Precise Rolling Ball V7 (Fine)

...The V7 is fantastic because the stroke is nice and BOLD. I use it for shading, but also when I want whatever I write or doodle to YELL off the page. I forgot to mention - the Pilot Precise Rolling Balls flow amazingly, they pretty much melt onto the page. Mmmm...

Sakura Pigma Micron

I love the Sakura Pigma Micron in 005, 01, 02, 03, 05 (haven't used the 08). The 005 is probably the thinnest pen I have encountered, and it has a good lifespan, though daily use definitely takes its toll and grinds down the tip to a dry, sad nubbin after some time. I stopped liking this pen when the graphic text on the barrel would degrade to a gummy mess on my hands, but I now use this just for when I need fine, fine lines; this is definitely less of an everyday pen and more of a "special occasion" pen for me.

STAEDTLER Pigment Liner

My favorites of the Staedtler pigment liner - 0.05, 0.1, 0.5 and 0.8. I favored these over the Sakuras for a while, but each one feels different and it really depends on the mood I'm in for when I grab hold of one to use it. Most of the time it's when I want something sturdier than a Sakura. I don't quite know how to describe it...!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

for once, we couldn't be more different.

the pilots are nice for writing, but they bug me because they occasionally catch the page and make that scritch-scratch sound and skip, especially when the ink's running low. and maybe it's just me but the window always seems to be misleading...

sakura = love. that is all.

i don't really use my staedlers; i felt ripped off because they last nowhere nearly as long as the sakuras. also, i feel like the ink just isn't as intense as sakuras' but i HAVE noticed that they bleed less than sakuras (even though those hardly bleed at all).

destroy what bores you said...

I forgot to mention I mainly use the pilots for writing, especially for my studio sketchbook because it makes everything look sooo nice. And I use them for sketching, so I like the scritch-scratch and the overall roughness! The window only really works when the well is like 75% dry too, oops.

yes we are mighty different in our use of pens.

Anonymous said...

haha i like the scratchiness, but not when i'm drawing or writing intensely. ooh and by the way, sakura 08s are AMAZING- they're spongy yet firm, kinda like mini sharpies. they're also a godsend when you need to fill in a large space and you're used to 005s.