Sunday, March 3, 2013

the book of CACTI and Other SUCCULENTS

I guess I talk about my plants an awful lot and well, here's some more of that! I found this book while thrifting last year, but only really began to appreciate its usefulness with my own recent burgeoning cacti and succulent garden. A clarification I was happy to read in this book is that cacti are the "best-known" family of succulents, but all succulents are not cacti (!!!).

I love love love illustrations in old books. It doesn't even matter what they are of, but man, look at these! The close-ups of cactus blossoms and bracts, the image of the lady for scale, and the impeccably handwritten labels matched with the arrows. Amazing.

Propagation methods...

This rolled newspaper trick was such a helpful tip for some of my spinier friends. And the watering tip - essential. Ever since A gave me this baby barrel cactus, I've been keen on collecting my own specimens, but I find that I usually cannot resist the $2 succulents at Home Depot when I make a visit.

Cactus medley! I've been a little lax about identifying all of these...I think most of them are in the Opuntia tribe, except for the one on the bottom...

Aloe vera, jade plant, hen & chick, and Sedum.

It's easier to label these images if you actually know the names of all the plants...!

Last week I came home to see all the pots neatly grouped together, and some of my succulents in glass (on the far left) had been rearranged. The work of mischievous/thoughtful gardeners, I believe! As the days continue to get longer, I like to sit out on the porch with a cup of tea as I watch the last vestiges of sunlight stretch, linger, then fade away.

No comments: