Tuesday, December 22, 2009

legacy(?)

I asked my mom where my old water polo parka was. She said that she gave it to a fellow teacher whose daughter in high school started taking up water polo this year. My old coach spotted it on her and asked her how she came about it. The girl explained, and he apparently told her "That's a legacy parka you've got there." I was stunned. I was never the most skilled player on the team, but I worked my tail off to improve, swimming all the sets, blocking shots, eggbeater-ing like there was no tomorrow. I made captain my senior year, which was a total surprise to me, but coach said I showed extraordinary passion and dedication, and that he wanted me to lead by example. Now that I think about it, that's all I really worked hard for during my time in high school. It'd be great to get that drive back for my upcoming endeavors. Just an interesting anecdote that made me think of deeper things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and i totally took it for granted. aside from freshman and sophomore years, i was so lazy... i'm embarrassed.