Sunday, December 27, 2009

sunday with mama

This morning, I sewed back on one of the gold buttons that had fallen off a brown cashmere cardigan (made in Scotland!) that I've been wearing constantly these days. Cashmere is soo cozy.

Walked the dogs, then went to the Fairfax flea market where, put-off by the lame boutique stalls and vintage clothing/shoe stalls overrun by eager hipsters, I moseyed over to a used-book stall, full of Bukowski, Kafka, Hunter S. Thompson, Huxley, Whitman... etc. all arranged in neat rows and labeled with awesome prices. I snapped up The Trial, as I had discussed Kafka with Dan last night, as well as Tropic of Cancer, which I've been looking for for months now. The vendor looked at the books I handed him and said "Wow! Isn't this something! You know what's crazy? Not too long ago a fella came by and bought these two exact books like you are right now! What d'you know about this one (he taps Tropic of Cancer)" I tell him "It was banned!" and he goes "Yeah! For ten years or so! That guy didn't know that so he bought it when I told him, haha." I have a plan now, to read my books and then go back every week for more! Screw cute vintage clothing/shoes/accessories - I'll go to the Salvation Army for that :)

Dan lent me this amazing tome (it holds 50 Janus films, obviously) of which I've watched about 1/10, which I'm going to devour starting tonight. I smell an end-of-year movie marathon - hooray!

1 comment:

Sarah Alaoui said...

used books greater than sign vintage clothes