Saturday, February 16, 2013

casting on



I recently started knitting again! Back in high school I was a compulsive knitter - just mufflers that were mostly flat knit/ribbing stitch endeavors, starting with acrylic yarns then moving up to acrylic/wool blends, nothing fancy. I learned the moss stitch, the basket-weave, and some cabling, but overall I really just enjoyed the simple repetitive motions that would result in something warm, cozy and (potentially) useful. This past January during the bouts of chilling winter cold* we experienced I found myself wanting a bigger, cozier scarf that I could bury myself in during long meetings in cold rooms and stretches of sitting at the computer in a chilly office at work...

My favorite color is green, especially in the olive/loden/army green family, and I was lucky enough to find 100% pure wool (heavily discounted) in this deep olive color, so I loaded up on a dozen skeins. While at the store before leaving I paused, then decided I'd try my hand at circular knitting! With circular knitting, one basically has to knit twice as much as a flat-knit piece, but the resulting product is thicker/warmer because of the two layers, and in my opinion, looks neater since you're going round and round knitting a seamless tube.

So now I am four skeins in, averaging a ball of yarn a week, and I can't decide if the finished scarf will be twice as long as what is shown now, or three times as long. However at this rate it seems like I'll be finishing it up JUST as it gets way too hot for a sane person to even consider donning a wool scarf, go figure.

*because I KNOW it gets so much colder in many other places.

2 comments:

y said...

http://bit.ly/XiCZo5 hahahaha

destroy what bores you said...

haha, YES! thank you!