Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The King's Speech (2010)


The King's Speech was fantastic. I feel like it's quite late to the game to give a real critique, but I loved all the performances given by Helena Bonham Carter, Geoffrey Rush, and Colin Firth. Colin Firth melted into his role, so much that I wasn't even thinking this was the same guy who played Mr. Darcy, or the cuckolded lovesick fool from Love Actually, etc. (I haven't seen much of his meatier roles :X). The cinematography and excellent usage of wide-angle shots to make the audience feel the crippling discomfort of Albert or 'Bertie's' anxiety when speaking had a completely immersive effect. Most of all, I loved how I really cared about everything that happened, how I could feel sympathy, compassion, frustration and triumph for all the characters involved. Really uplifting and inspiring.

1 comment:

Hazelrah said...

I'm so glad that this won the Oscar for Best Picture. It truly deserved it and I have not seen a more beautiful film all year. Every shot was engrossing and the character development was perfect! I too felt captivated and moved.