Saturday, February 19, 2011

Unknown (2011)


Did you enjoy 2008's Taken with Liam Neeson? If so you probably thought Unknown would be of a similar caliber - slightly ludicrous but so full of action and badassery therefore unforgettably great. Liam Neeson is a total badass as usual, but the story had too many plot twists to make it enjoyable. Too much of a 'Hitchcock' flavor and no one can do Hitchcock but Hitchcock. I did immensely enjoy Bruno Ganz's character Jurgen however. I didn't realize until the film was finished that I had seen him in Wings of Desire a few months ago so seeing him again, older but still brilliant was so amazing. It reminded me of Edge of Darkness - it could have been really cool if not for the tiring absurdity, yet with the addition of certain memorable characters it wasn't a complete waste...

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Bruno Ganz is a wonderful actor. Not sure if you have seen Der Untergang ("Downfall") in which he portrays Adolf Hitler. I highly recommend that film.

destroy what bores you said...

thanks Ryan! Der Untergang is definitely on my 'to see' list; I've heard Ganz is amazing in that!