Wednesday, July 20, 2011

the long beach flea


Went to the Long Beach Flea this past Sunday. The last time I had gone was last summer so that justified making the trip out with my mom even though I keep telling myself I should keep the spending to a minimum. My sister asked me the night before the excursion if I could please keep an eye out for nice chains to hang pendants from, which was so funny because those were already on my mental list. My sister and I both have lots and lots of pendants and a scarcity of quality chains to hang them from. I realized quickly enough that it's hard to find simple, silver chains but there is a huge abundance of gold/gold-tone gaudy ones to pick from. I managed to find a good chain for her with a giant medallion from Colombia on it as pictured on her blog, and found one for myself with a strange pendant on it that I realized right away as the trusty hammer of the Norse god Thor. I also got a beautiful sea-green glass fishing float which I secretly pretend is one of those glass orbs in The Department of Mysteries in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and I spend a few minutes every day gazing at it when I am taking a break from being busy. The keys and chain sans-penny charm are atop a crumbling copy of Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray and the metal items were had for a mere $2. Last thoughts - I'd like to color code my bookshelves but then the genres and authors would get all mixed up and the thought of that terrifies me, so I'll keep the color coding confined to my t-shirts and underwear drawer.

No comments: