Saturday, July 23, 2011

my first 'camera'


This is the 1988 Fisher Price 'Crazy Camera.' I believe this was a hand-me-down from some of my cousins and the fact that it is the same age as me blows my mind. This thing has the works - a sweet flash, a film advance knob and shutter and four filter colors (plus a regular clear setting) and other crazy effect filters like a kaleidoscope effect, an extra-wide stretch effect, a split and a triple. I would entertain myself for whole afternoons with this, pretending to take pictures of my mom cooking dinner or my sister playing with toys on the living room floor. I remember I couldn't wait until I had my own camera, but until then I made do with the pictures I had to take with my imagination. This is one of a small handful of remaining childhood relics I have and stupidly, sentimentally I don't see myself parting with it. It sits on top of a shelf that displays all my cameras, along with a framed picture of my pop, and though I don't consider myself a photographer of great caliber, it is very special to me, a reminder of imaginative and unfettered days.

No comments: