Wednesday, December 21, 2011

down, but not out


A lot of people close to me are not having the easiest time right now. Many of them including myself have been stuck in long, awkward, uncertain phases of our lives and maybe everything that has built up in the last year is finally coming to a head. Attempting to console some of them seems futile; optimistic platitudes and phrases like 'just give it time' seem to ring hollow and fall flat, even if such words are true. I'm trying to be present, and taking everything day by day, but seeing a friend in pain and not being able to help really hurts, even if it's not my place to help shoulder that burden. We all have our own battles/struggles, but the weight of this rampant...unhappiness, or discontent, seems like a collective enemy that we all need to rise up to and slaughter. I feel like I've gone over a particularly bumpy bump from the past few months, and am a little more cautious and hopefully wiser (but still aggressive), as the cogs in my brain are starting up again and realizing what they need to work towards. With all this being said, the resolve of all the people I know who are suffering, but not giving in, is so inspiring to me right now.

1 comment:

Jessica H. said...

this is the optimistic version of how i feel. but i liked it so much i read it to a friend over the phone. <3