Saturday, May 23, 2009

KOBE beef

We had teppanyaki Kobe beef for lunch at Misono, IN Kobe, Japan! Could this outing have been any more perfect...

See how the meat is perfectly marbled with fat? The result of steers being massaged daily with sake, and being fed on a diet of beer and grain.

The garlic that is roasted alongside the beef, mmm.

Searing. So juicy. Could I also add how elegant the cooking surface was? Stainless steel all the way across, with the heat concentrated centrally for cooking.

So much attention to detail for everything here, including the paper place mats (which I promptly greased up as I ate).

My, you look delicious. Almost done!

Finished. Medium rare, the only way to have a steak.

Afterward, our chef brought out this display for us to take photos, as he realized how avid we were about capturing this experience. When we asked him how much this block of Kobe beef would cost, he went and got a calculator, and showed that it would be 165000 ¥ (that's $1,700!!!)


I've always wanted to eat Kobe beef, not the "Kobe-style beef" they have in the U.S. And I never dreamed I'd actually have any in Kobe, so I was unbelievably excited for it. Afterward, on the bus ride home, pretty much everyone in our group food-coma-ed in a blissful, uninterrupted sleep on the 2 hour ride back to Kyoto.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how do you say "f*cking jealous" in japanese? because that is what i am.