Wednesday, May 20, 2009

that's some really old wood...

Today we went to Todai-ji and Horyu-ji, the largest wooden structure in the world, and the oldest wooden structure in the world, respectively. Todai-ji was massive and stunning. Horyu-ji was really large, but not as impressive in my opinion.

The enormous bronze statue of Buddha that sits in Todai-ji. At the time it was built in Japan, they used up all the country's reserves of bronze, and the construction of this shrine pretty much bankrupted Japan at the time.

Monks reciting prayers before the Buddha.

Incense at the front of the temple. Visitors are allowed to burn a stick, with or without giving a donation, and are invited to cleanse themselves with the smoke before they enter.

So many schoolchildren all around every temple! All with awesome primary-colored hats. By the end of this trip I WILL have snatched up one of these hats to claim as my own...

Did I mention that deer are rampant at Todai-ji? They have carts selling cookies to feed the deer, and they are very aggressive in the presence of the cookies...

More wishes at Todai-ji!


A random occurrence - Zac Efron (sp?) and Vanessa Hudgens were at Todai-ji today. I didn't really know it was them, all I knew is that I was irritated by the loud, self-centered people with their idiotic Holga cameras and I felt insulted by their presence. Then some girl in my group said blah-blah-blah guess who's here and I put two and two together and voila! The one last annoying cherry on top is when the girl went "Baby, take a picture of me with thisss!" (of the giant Buddha statue) and I wanted to hurl. Hypocritical of me to judge, yeah.

Tomorrow is going to be a crazy day. We are going to six shrines, starting at 8:30 am! I will be POOPED by the end of the day. see you then!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

happened on your site accidentally..serendipity.... You are posting pictures of all the places we went on our honeymoon 30 years ago....thanks.

Anonymous said...

Considering your attitude,people should be insulted by your presence.

Anonymous said...

oh man, those sites look really awesome. i wish you'd taken the picture of the buddha statue with some sort of size reference though...how big is it?

and to anonymous commenter #2 (assuming you're different from the first "Anonymous"), i think you meant that people should be HONORED, not insulted, by in between thoughts' presence.

Yuri said...

HOLGAS FOR THE LOSE

destroy what bores you said...

to the first anonymous, that is serendipitous indeed! I'm glad I could help :)

destroy what bores you said...

to anonymous 2, your opinion's your own, as is mine.

destroy what bores you said...

to goldforever, I'll post a photo with a size reference. I believe it's about 50 feet tall.