Wednesday, August 24, 2011

from the archives: Nikko in 2009


These are from a visit to an old temple in Nikko in May of 2009 during my Asia study abroad trip. I don't think I ever showed the shots of delicate little flowers growing out of crevices in the temple roofs, the spindly spiders crawling on moss and the steady drip of rain and moisture high up in the mountains.

Lately I have trouble looking back at old photos, I think primarily because of the sheer magnitude of them, thanks to digital technology, but also because I have trouble digesting the thought of a younger me in a different place and circumstances. Thinking of the past gives me an uncomfortable jolt and I'd rather dream of the future than dwell on the past. This is not always true, but as of now it is. That said, as I dig through old pictures I think I'll continue to post whatever evokes a memory, a strong feeling or beauty, just to share. So as I work in the present for the future I won't shun remnants of the past...