Friday, July 24, 2009

BONE (Jeff Smith)


Last week while moseying around the Mid Valley Megamall out here in KL, killing time before watching the latest Harry Potter movie, I happened upon a sweet little comic book store, simply called Comics Mart, and did some much-needed browsing.

I considered picking up from where I left off on Neil Gaiman's Sandman (I've only read up to the third volume, Dream Country, tsk tsk) but since I would like to own The Absolute Sandman I refrained, and then, being unfamiliar with the setup of the store, asked the man at the front desk if they carried BONE. I could've sworn his ears perked up at my question, and one of the other guys there goes "Bone! You like that one right?" and he replies, half to himself and half to me, "Yes, it is my favorite."

I pick up the first two volumes and the other guy chirps "What are you gonna do now that she's getting those two!" And the other one says "I have my own copies of Bone!" and with a smile rings up my purchase. He asks me if I'm a local and I say no, I'm visiting from the U.S. but staying here a month longer, so he gives me a card with a stamp for every 25RM I spend, and stamps and initials three boxes. I tell him I'll be back for the rest later and he smiles, says nice meeting you, and see you soon!

Sweet! I tore through those two books fast, and just yesterday went back to pick up the next three volumes. I didn't tarry long, I just went in and picked up and left, but next time I think I'll stay and talk to the owner a little longer. He reminds me of one of the guys in charge of my favorite comic book store back home, how crazy is that?

So I haven't actually said much about BONE - it began and became popular in the 90's, is a sweeping saga much like Lord of the Rings, what with a cute humble protagonist Fone Bone, an anthropomorphic bone character, and fantastic beasts including talking bugs, rat creatures, and dragons! BONE isn't only epic though, it's funny. Fone Bone has two cousins, Phonciple P. (Phoney) Bone and Smiley Bone, and all three of them are trying to find their way back home to Boneville, where Phoney was chased out of, dragging with him his two cousins. Won't say much more now - I am halfway through the series. In between journeys to studio and class I'm always thinking about when I can make my next trip to the Megamall, hehe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute! lol i love that you're still picking up graphic novels. i think a tiny part of mom will die when she finds out hahaha

destroy what bores you said...

haha that's so true. but there are worse ways I could be spending my time and money.