Saturday, July 4, 2009

happy birthday, America!

Me and this cute little poopie I picked up at IKEA. excuse for the purchase? homesickness...

Returned from Malacca today - we searched for nice beaches but there weren't any immediately near the hotel we were staying at; however the pool there was very nice so we mostly just hung out at the pool, and of course made it out to the night market there. Fun stuff, we ate rice balls at some famous place and then saw some famous people dining next to us (one of them a former leader of the MCA, now they're all political commentators?) and then we had some drinks and retired for the night. We didn't do too much in Malacca, but it was nice to get out of the city for a bit.

For the 4th, didn't do anything too crazy. A few of us really wanted to have something AMERICAN to eat, so we went to uh, TGIFriday's and all five of us ordered burgers, nachos, sodas and beer. How we've missed burgers! Then we went to the digital mall to see if we could get some cheap DVDs, specifically (what else?) Independence Day, but for some reason they had put away all the American movies so we were stuck between Asian movies and American TV shows. Inevitably we returned empty-handed...

Started missing the States really badly, especially because up until now I hadn't really thought about how much I love celebrating the Fourth of July. The casualness, the festivities, the food, sitting on a blanket watching fireworks with friends, BBQ, cold drinks, cheesy I LOVE AMERICA themed movies. I wore my tailored blue dress with white polka dots and red Vans classics to show my American pride, but didn't think of taking a photo of that when I posed for the photo in this post. anyway, babbling now. happy fourth once again, I hope it's swell.

No comments: