Tuesday, July 14, 2009

in the heat of the day

All photos by Ryan McGinley.

I've been waiting for the right time to feature some of his photos. His work has a dream-like, ethereal quality - mostly playful and spontaneous seeming, totally surrendering to the moment. He shot an amazing set of photos called "I Know Where The Summer Goes" last year I think and I wish I could have seen the exhibition. He also shot a stunning series of portraits of the 2008 Oscar nominees for New York Times Magazine, which was the first time in a long time I'd been floored by photos of celebrities.

It always seems to rain on Tuesdays in KL (at least it has for the past two weeks) and after a thunderstorm finishes the intense humidity sets in. Which reminds me of lazy summer days where I would climb a tree and daydream, then crawl back down for a glass of ice water, then maybe sit indoors and read a book with my toes resting on the air conditioning vent.

notes:
- The night market outside of my student housing I'm always talking about earned triple extra points today - there's a "thrift store booth" that I scoured earlier this evening and I got about 6 items for 30 RM, which is about 8 bucks. (The dress code is strict at school so I have to cover up). So the dry spell of thrifting has been broken.
- I got lunch for 14.50 RM today, as opposed to the usual 5. A $4 meal compared to $1.30, you don't say. $4 is super cheap compared to prices back home but if I can eat for $1.30 why go for $4? Ah, I definitely do not miss L.A. prices.
- I keep listening to music I listened to from last year/two years ago and it makes me yearn for home/think about things I would do over. thinking about home is normal, thinking of what I would've done differently, ugh, needs to stop.

No comments: