Saturday, September 24, 2011

entomology


Some shots of BUGS that I got all summer (some are blurry, some are repeats). I thought I had more, but I think I'm confusing those bug sightings with the times I did not carry a camera. I had fun drawing some of these bugs from my pictures because they move too quickly in real life, er, except for the dead ones. The green one is a funny one because every time I see one around a Hispanic friend, they'll exclaim and say that as kids they used to tie strings around these buggers and fly them around outside. And every time I ask them what they're called they'll shrug and go "Dunno!" The name of that green beetle has eluded me for years...! The crimson dragonfly is a summertime favorite, I always used to see them zipping around our backyard when we still had a papyrus plant growing. Also my Westies are either smart for eating bugs as an additional source of protein or just silly and don't know any better - Maxie snaps at bees and has eaten a couple without stinging himself, and he snaps at flies too. BB is a bit more subtle but I know she has downed a bug or two after hunting them down..

No comments: