Wednesday, September 28, 2011

smithy's delight

Tiny lock from Etsy; three vintage keys; Mjölnir - Thor's hammer; a teeny penknife; bronze claw.

While waiting for things to render on my computer today I lazily took a photo of my necklace, which prompted me to grab five of my favorite pendants to chronicle here. I'm not at the point where I get excited by diamonds or precious gemstones, I've never cared much for cheesy nameplate jewelry, and I really really despise cheap metal... I think the horror of seeing my skin stained green from crappy bracelets or rings made me realize there's nothing good about cheap jewelry. Costume jewelry is fun to collect but I rarely ever wear it. I guess I like simpler statement pieces that aren't too flashy. A couple of these are found objects - the lock, penknife and keys were all flea market/Etsy finds. I think I wore the penknife for like all of last year, and annoyingly had to be careful with wearing it when traveling, but since I've amassed a small collection of non-TSA-threatening jewelry since then I'm in the clear. Thor's hammer I found at a flea market and was super excited about - it's pewter and heavy and has its own awesome chain! The claw was a gift from my sister a few years ago and I wore that constantly before the penknife. Lately it's the mini lock and keys. I like the weight and the jingling. This was a random post yes, but for me it was a nice break from the grindstone!

1 comment:

yo said...

i love that little lock!