Wednesday, September 7, 2011

scratch that


Well so much for that! Even with the passing of Labor Day and summer technically being over, after that thunderstorm on Sunday we had a day of dry heat (105ºF) and heavy, humid heat today. The heat, combined with a renewed sense of passion and purpose ensures that I am too busy trying to keep cool (swim, drink lots of icy beverages, strategically position myself in the shade/vents/fans) but also brings out the inner lazy lion in me that would rather lounge on the couch near but not too near the warmth of my dogs with no thought of a camera or anything to occupy me. Too bad there's no such thing as a professional daydreamer!

Today I measured out a sill plate - first with the end studs, the shear wall studs, posts, and then I faced the rest of the 16" on center studs. Drilled holes for the posts with bolts next to them, and laid it out on the site to see how it measured up. It was good, but we didn't place any of the 2x4's today.

Right, and the things in the pictures are:
1. A Ball Mason jar mug that my sister got me for part of my birthday (!!!) filled with boricha (mugicha in Japanese) which is a roasted barley tea that is served hot during the winter and chilled during the summer. I realized it's one of my favorite things to drink because it's refreshing, earthy and totally un-fussy in terms of preparation.
2. A new insulator nicknamed "frog eyes" that my mom picked up for me at the PCC flea (I was at work), which was really thoughtful of her. I think she realizes I'm being more careful about spending, as I'm clearing out things from my room every week, plus since it was 'a kind I didn't already have' and only cost $3 she brought it home.
3. Praying mantis that was startled to see me when I let the dogs out today. I usually see these fellows/ladies all over the yard every summer, but they didn't put up an egg sac on our porch this year, sad. A neighbor boy across the street used to come over once a year to capture one on my mother's invitation... maybe he stole them all away. I doubt it though...!

I'm stumbling over words tonight... I cite food coma and the heat as the culprits!

No comments: