Tuesday, October 4, 2011

dear loma

I bought this postcard that I now use as a bookmark, about a year ago at the Rose Bowl Flea Market after visiting Chicago. I love how it is a completely different city from what I saw, but it managed to trigger something in me when I saw it so I handed over the $0.25 the seller was asking for.

It reads:

Dear Loma,

Am back in my home town for a months vacation. I have to start back for hot N.Y. in a week tho. Where are you going this summer? New York?

Love,

Ethel Spears

If you notice the crossed out address and the new one scribbled in pencil, it reads Marengo, South Pasadena, which is a street I used to live on. Coming from her pen pal in Chicago and talking about New York felt eerily prophetic, and if I'm being too vague I mean it sort of parallels my upcoming visit to Max (and Steph!) in New York (when the last time I saw Max was in Chicago). Of course it is not exact enough to be properly creepy, but one night as I was taking a break from reading and instead looking at this postcard all the pieces came together, and I smiled.

1 comment:

y said...

:) good idea for reusing postcards, hmm...