Monday, October 24, 2011

lost & found

I went to Millard Canyon yesterday with an old friend of mine, Jessica, whom I haven't seen for seven years. As soon as we finished driving up the winding mountain road and parked, Jessica spotted a deer, and in the flurry of grabbing my camera I dropped my wallet but didn't notice until hours later, after we'd hiked a different trail when we realized the main trail was closed because of mudslide/rockslide hazards. It was a good hike full of great conversation, reflection, and overall catching up, with me stopping every so often to pick up an acorn or look at a tree. I went home and starting preparing a big Korean dinner with my sister and mom, which was fantastic, but the night ended in anxiety on my part when I realized my wallet was gone. I woke up at 6 this morning to go back to the mountain, and managed to find the campground manager, Lonnie, who seemed to recognize me and told me he'd turned the wallet in to the sheriff's department. What luck! I didn't even care that I had to drive to La Crescenta from Altadena, and didn't care about waiting 15 minutes while they sorted it out. Lonnie had also looked me up on facebook (which I hadn't known, because in my anxious state I hadn't even thought about facebook/being on the internet except for sorting out card/dmv matters) so when I got my wallet back I asked him how I could repay him. He said no reward necessary (but I'd asked what his favorite food is) and that he enjoys KFC. So I'm going to go to KFC for my friend Lonnie this week and figure something out.

This was a rambling narrative, and probably not interesting to read but I had to get it off my chest. Seeing my old friend and catching up has awakened a part of me that has been asleep for a long time. I was so stagnant. I feel like things are stirring up again, and I'm being more aggressive about everything now, and trying to make up for lost time.

1 comment:

y said...

glad you found it :) get him a double down!