Friday, February 19, 2010

|


I'm in my fourth year of college, with one more year to go, and I haven't found a niche or a comfortable group of friends to hang out with or depend on. But since that's the way it was for me in high school, I've come to realize I'm okay with it. I'm fortunate to have at least found a few solid individuals to build lasting relationships with so there's nothing more I could ask for. From the get-go I didn't fit in with the super-studious, uber-arch nerd types, nor the hip, last-minute, partying-hard then pulling some quick bullshit kids. I fall somewhere in the middle, the 'other' and/or somewhere off to the side. Four of the people I considered my greatest friends within the architecture school all dropped out after some time - I wonder if that should be a big flashing sign - but then again, one came back!

Most of the people I have become friends with thus far in college have little in common with one another, but something I can say about all of them is that they're real. They're not caught up with crafting their images - I mean they're still searching for who they are, sure, but without excessive drama, cynicism or self-centeredness. They're all passionate about something, hard-working and headstrong. I learn so much from every one of them, and best of all I do so while enjoying their company.

So in short, I like the structure of my friendship circles, and there is nothing I would do to forcibly change that. I like being a lone wolf who in reality isn't alone at all.

No comments: