Saturday, February 13, 2010

plan C: the Standard


This is the Portobello 'Burger' from The Standard...

Today I was supposed to go to the LA FoodFest downtown, but when we got there the line was something like 2 or 3 miles long! Starting at the entrance, looping through a giant parking lot, going past two or three blocks, winding around the corner and clearing far out north - we never even got to see the end of the line. 45 minutes to one hour wait time to get inside, plus more lines for each food truck inside? I'm patient but I have my limits. I told some people not to even try because it wouldn't be worth the wait (and wouldn't the trucks run out of food...?) and so we ventured out to Bottega Louie's to try to get lunch, but obviously with the runoff from the FoodFest line, that was a near-impossible attempt as well. So as a last resort we went to the Standard where, in the past I really enjoyed eating at, but today's service was terrible which didn't help my feelings of defeat. The burger was alright, nicely toasted buns and generously thick slices of tomato, a hearty slice of cheese, but it could have used another layer or two of portobello mushrooms. So today was not the best day for food, but I still had a nice adventure walking around and around downtown.

No comments: