Tuesday, April 6, 2010

chicago - millennium park


Prior to my adventures in the Midwest, Max borrowed an old 10-speed from his brother to have me ride, and after practicing up and down the street yesterday morning we embarked on a bike ride to the west lakefront of Lake Michigan and wove through the city, very briefly stopping at Navy Pier, then strolling through Millennium Park and checking out the landmarks and buildings.

1 & 2 - Interior and exterior of 'The Bean' by Anish Kapoor.
3 - Ultra-expensive hideous-ness of Frank Gehry in Millennium Park. It is nice that the structure extending from the concert hall is wide open and allows for the underneath to be open space, but with it, the concert hall, and the bridge (not pictured) all together it's an utter mess with no context whatsoever to the city. Ugh.
4 - The Aqua Tower (new residential/mixed use skyscraper) by Jeanne Gang of Studio Gang. It only looks good when you're standing on the site, looking up, as in this photo. And right at its foot is a small park and dog park that flourishes amongst the buildings.

After Millennium Park and Aqua, biked to Olive Park and watched people on the beach, talked of swimming, traced the Chicago skyline, spotted ladybugs and then headed out for a late lunch. Ten miles of biking and my muscles were on fire, but I woke up this morning and I feel good. Max insists I get a bike when I return home, and I didn't get the appeal of riding until yesterday I guess. Time to sell the longboard and put it towards my bike fund...!

1 comment:

Tommy said...

you already have a bike! it's pretty solid :)