Wednesday, April 7, 2010

tuesday morning


Yesterday morning was met with the onset of rain; I had woken up around 6 to multiple peals of thunder that cracked and rumbled right above my head, and this went on for maybe ten minutes until the storm moved north. Luckily the storm raged in the morning and left the afternoon and evening amazingly clear, so we were able to venture out, but no such luck today. We're supposed to ride to Logan Park tonight but if the weather's shitty there's a small chance of that happening. ANYWAY, yesterday Max took me to Wicker Park where we checked out some thrift stores to get shorts for me to wear for biking (Buffalo Exchange, you never fail me), and then we rode back towards the city, out to Northerly Island (which used to be an airport that the mayor had torn down one night after the 9/11 attack) which is a prairie reserve/bird sanctuary. Out by the water you could see part of Indiana, and turning around you could see the grand Chicago skyline. We biked along the edge of the water, which surprisingly had no handrails (refreshingly, and dangerously) all the way back into the city, parked the bikes at the Trader Joe's that Max works at, and walked to the Chicago Public Library to see Frank Gehry give a talk with Tom Pritzker. It was an interesting talk, though Gehry didn't say much about urban life/etc. but, even though I'm not a fan of his architecture I think he's a really cool and humble person, and likable as an architect. Wow! After Gehry, we headed back to the Wicker Park area, went to a bar where I had some 'Bells' and 'Two Brothers', then got a deep dish pizza which I devoured like a pizza machine, and watched Antoine et Collette, and Stolen Kisses, before falling asleep during my second viewing of Bed and Board. Pizza and Truffaut - what a way to end the night.

No comments: