Tuesday, March 8, 2011

printmaking with sister


This afternoon I followed my sister into one of the fine arts labs to watch the process of reduction printing! The concept is cool because you carve away from the block for the first layer, make several prints of it, then carve away more material for the next layer, print again, etc. so if you make a mistake, too bad, because you can't go back and fix it. SCARY. So I guess white was first, then yellow, then red, and so today I watched the application of the black lines. It was nerve-wracking, but amazing to see her pull away a print and have everything perfectly aligned. The big old printing press was faulty so it kept messing up her prints one way, so I think she ended up running them through the opposite way to keep the quality consistent. Observing was a lot of fun! I need to take advantage of being around the most creative part of school all the time! Jumping from one creative pool to another is really healthy and inspiring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you came away inspired :) i miss making art with you

Jeremy [Retro] said...

very nice, i loved to print...