Thursday, March 17, 2011

st. patrick's day dinner


I've been blogging way too much I feel, but with so many things to talk about and with lots of time (this week) to do so I don't feel that bad. Except I could be doing other things, hence my feeling bad. But now as I think about it I had to tend to cooking dinner all afternoon, after a long-ish morning of working, and I've been good about meting my time between work/play/idleness (shit, I've become a master at rationalizing!). St. Patricks' Day dinner went very smoothly - I simmered the corned beef for 3 hours, then added potatoes and the cabbage at the top of the 3rd hour and let it all stew for the 4th hour. I pulled out the cabbage after 45 minutes and it was done! My mom and I had Guinness and Irish soda bread on the side to top it all off and it was sooo delicious. Even though it was great with my mom I couldn't help but wish my stepdad had been here to enjoy a meal with us, and come to think of it, my sister, too! And I realized I have never spent a St. Patrick's Day with my Irish-American boyfriend, so what the heck. But hopefully with more years of this holiday to come it'll be spent in a variety of ways. I'm patient, and optimistic. And now I've been on the computer for far too long so I'm cutting myself off for the night. Goodnight! I hope you all had/have a fun day and night.

No comments: